FRANCES LARGEMAN-ROTH, RD. ADDS ‘AWESOME’ TO ANY DIET FOR NATIONAL NUTRITION MONTH
FAMOUS TV NUTRITIONIST SHARES IMPORTANT TIPS FOR CHOOSING HEALTHY FOODS
The Author of EATING IN COLOR Explains Why There are NO Longer Any Excuses for Failing to Eat Healthy
Frances Largeman-Roth is the go-to nutritionist for all the network morning shows, and you’ve see her on CNN, The Rachael Ray Show and she is a regular on The Dr. Oz Show. She has also lent her expertise as a judge for Food Network Challenge and The James Beard Awards. Now, this rock star of healthy eating, is bringing her passion for nutrition in a special interview to show people how to choose healthier foods for NATIONAL NUTRITION MONTH. Frances discusses how to make convenient, quick, easy meals for busy families made with simple ingredients that are free of preservatives. This interview will also showcase some creative ways to choose nutritious foods that are better for you and taste good!
GREAT NUTRITIOUS SNACKS
Snacking is an important part of good nutrition, and these Harvest Stone crackers are the perfect canvas for your wholesome creations. Harvest Stone’s organic, gluten-free, non-GMO and whole grain crackers compliment your health-conscious lifestyle without compromising taste. I like to pair them with this delicious Green Goddess Guacamole. Harvest Stone uses organic whole grains and seeds to craft simply delicious snacks that you can feel good about eating. Find recipes and ideas at HarvestStone.com
Green Goddess Guacamole with Crackers – Loaded with fresh herbs, this guacamole is a nutritious snack any time of the day.
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp finely chopped shallot
- 2 tbsp each finely chopped fresh parsley and cilantro
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 pkg (3.54 oz) Harvest Stone® Original Crackers
- Mash together avocados, sour cream and lime juice until smooth. Stir in shallot, parsley, cilantro, chives, tarragon, jalapeño, garlic, salt, pepper and cumin until blended.
- Transfer to serving dish or bowl; serve with crackers for dipping.
- Substitute Greek yogurt for light sour cream if desired.
- Substitute basil for any of the herbs if desired.
I wrote a book called ‘Eating in Color’ because adding color to your diet is a key for nutrition. This Nutrition Month, I recommend adding the color purple your diet, and I have a tip. Welch’s 100% Grape Juice is the best way to enjoy the delicious taste and heart-health benefits of the dark purple Concord grape. Each glass of Welch’s contains no added sugar and is made with more than 40 Concord grapes to deliver their big taste, beautiful purple color and heart-health benefits. Thanks to the Concord grape, Welch’s 100% Grape Juice helps support a healthy heart by promoting healthy circulation; keeping your blood and energy flowing. Welch’s 100% Grape Juice provides many of the same plant nutrients, or polyphenols, and many of the same heart-health benefits as red wine. Concord grapes are only available in the fall, but Welch’s 100% Grape Juice is a great way to get delicious and nutritious Concord grapes and their heart-health benefits all year round. For more information, visit: Welchs.com
- Serves: 2
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Total Time: 5 min
- 1 cup Welch's 100% Grape Juice
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 cup Welch's frozen raspberries
- 1 cup Welch's frozen blueberries
- ¼ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- ½ cup ice cubes
Place grape juice, spinach, raspberries, blueberries, yogurt and ice in blender. Blend until smooth and pour into 2 glasses. Makes 3 cups.
Nutrition per Serving
Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe/(1-1/2 cups per serving)
165 calories, 1g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 41mg sodium, 1mg cholesterol, 37g carbohydrates, 5g protein, 7g fiber, 28g sugar, Heart-Check certification does not apply to information reached through links unless expressly stated.
Seafood has a lot of benefits so one of my go-to suggestions for Nutrition Month is adding more seafood to your diet. The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend eating 2 to 3 servings of fish each week. I like Bumble Bee Solid White Albacore because it’s wild-caught, premium quality lean protein that comes in a can or pouch – so it’s easy to enjoy at home or on the go! It’s also low in fat and saturated fat, and an important source of vitamins and minerals like Vitamin D, iron and selenium. I love using Bumble Bee Albacore in an Albacore Artichoke Sandwich like this, or for dinner with these Tuna Fiesta Soft Tacos. For recipes like these, I choose Bumble Bee Albacore because it has a firm steaky texture and fresh taste compared to chunk light tuna, which is soupy and runny. Bumble Bee Solid White Albacore is a quality, delicious lean protein you can see and taste the moment you open the can and the perfect ingredient to enhance a recipe! For me, only Bumble Bee Albacore will do. For more information visit, BumbleBee.com
Escape the ordinary with this delicious, easy to prepare sandwich. It brings together the perfect mix of flavors from hearty artichokes, savory tuna, juicy tomatoes and sweet roasted red bell peppers.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Servings: Serves 2
- 1 can or pouch (5 oz) Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore Tuna in Water, drained and flaked
- 1 jar (6 oz.) marinated artichoke hearts
- 4 large tomato slices
- 1 tablespoon diced roasted red pepper strips (bottled)
- 2 crusty sandwich rolls, split
Drain artichokes, reserving marinade. Cut artichokes into quarters and place over bottom half of each roll, top with tuna, tomato and roasted red pepper. Drizzle with reserved artichoke marinade. Close sandwich roll.
For one serving (274g): Calories 390(from Fat 60), Fat 7g (Saturated 0g), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 30mg, Sodium 1020mg, Total Carbohydrate 57g, Fiber 5g, Sugars 3g, Protein 28g
Tuna Fiesta Soft Tacos
Head south-of-the-border with this delightful, nutritious and easy to prepare dish that is sure to please everyone at the table. From savory tuna and Cotija cheese to fresh avocado, black beans and a little salsa, just mix and match any way you like it. It’s food with a fun twist!
- Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
- Servings: Serves 4 (1 each)
- 1 can or pouch (5 oz) Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore in Water, drained and flaked
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 cup shredded mixed cabbage
- 1/2 avocado, cubed
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/4 cup Cotija cheese, crumbled
- Your Favorite Salsa
- Lime wedges
Divide ingredients evenly to fill tortillas. Fold and serve with your favorite salsa and a lime wedge.
For one serving – 2 soft tacos (256g) Calories 300(70 from Fat), Fat 8g (Saturated 2g), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 25mg, Sodium 610mg, Total Carbohydrate 45g, Fiber 12g, Sugars 4g, Protein 18g.
ON-THE-GO FOOD OPTIONS
When I’m looking for superfoods on-the-go, I usually turn to pulses, the food group made up of chickpeas, lentils, dry peas and beans. They have 9 grams of protein per ½ cup serving, and 4 times the fiber of brown rice. They’re also really easy to work into weeknight meals, to-go lunches or even breakfast smoothies. You should know that just adding one half-cup serving of pulses to your diet, 3 times per week, can aid in weight management, reaching your recommended dietary fiber intake and more. These Mason Jar Salads from the food bloggers at How You Glow are perfect for when you are running out the door because they only take 5 minutes to prepare. Whether you like beans, chickpeas or lentils, all you have to do is throw the ingredients together and you have a satisfying meal, complete with plant protein and fiber to keep you feeling full. If you make one pot of pulses at the beginning of the week, you can whip up recipes like this all week long to create healthier habits and if you’re in a pinch, you can always use canned pulses. You can find tons of recipes like this on Facebook @USApulses or visit, pulsepledge.com
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- dried cherries
- sherry vinegar and a splash of extra virgin olive oil
- chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- mixed greens
- goat cheese,
- pine nuts,
- lemon juice and a splash of extra virgin olive oil
White Bean Salad
- white beans
- watermelon radish
- balsamic vinegar and a splash of extra virgin olive oil
- Place cooked pulses at the bottom, filling about 1/4
- Next layer the greens, this should fill the jar 3/4 of the way
- The 1/4 left at the top should be where you add in your nuts, cheese, radish, and extra crunchy bits
- When you’re ready to eat your salad, top with just a dash of olive oil and some acidity like vinegar and lemon juice, and some salt and pepper. Shake it up, and you’re ready to dig in!